WE CHANGE THE LIFE OF ONE TO CARE FOR THE LIVES OF MANY.
Since Galen opened its doors in 1989, nursing degree programs have been our only focus. Over the years, more than 20,000 nurses have graduated from our five campuses to begin their career in nursing. Today, Galen is one of America’s largest private nursing colleges – but we still work with a one-on-one mindset, delivering all of our nursing degree programs with the individual in mind. And every day we ask ourselves, “How can we make this the best nursing education experience possible for each student?”
There are many reasons why our students choose Galen to pursue their degree in nursing, and we would be honored for you to have your own.
Galen College of Nursing History
Galen College of Nursing was established by Humana Health Institutes, Inc., in 1989 with a single purpose: to offer excellence in nursing education. Humana, who at that time was positioned as one of the largest insurance providers and healthcare systems in the country, developed these practical/vocational nursing programs in response to a severe national nursing shortage. Initially offered in Louisville, Kentucky, San Antonio, Texas, and Tampa Bay, Florida, these programs continue to address the healthcare needs of the communities they serve and are exemplars of excellence in nursing education.
- 1994: Operating under the name Galen Health Institute, Galen becomes an independent educational organization upon the dissolution of the Humana hospital system.
- 2005: Officially becomes Galen College of Nursing with the establishment of an Associate Degree nursing (ADN) program at the Florida and Kentucky campuses.
- 2005: Galen establishes first independent Board of Directors.
- 2007: Galen opens a campus in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 2008: Galen makes regulatory history when it becomes the first proprietary nursing program permitted to offer associate degree nursing education in the state of Texas.
- 2014: Galen launches its first post-RN licensure program with the Online RN to BSN.
- 2017: In response to a continued nursing shortage in the region, Galen partners with Appalachian Regional Healthcare (ARH) to open a campus in its Hazard, Kentucky location.
- 2017: Launch of Galen’s pre-licensure 3-Year Accelerated BSN program at Louisville and San Antonio campuses.