Galen College and Appalachian Regional Healthcare have joined together to offer nursing education opportunities, in support of both the local nursing workforce, and the need throughout Eastern Kentucky.
Ready to Start or Continue your Nursing Education?
There are many reasons why our nursing students say their Galen experiences are outstanding. Among them are our academics. We believe that a nursing school graduate should be able to walk into the first job of their nursing career feeling capable, competent, and ready to go to work. So we’re constantly updating our curriculum to reflect the most current thinking and trends in nursing practice. Our contemporary and technologically advanced nursing programs provide students with:
- Clinical learning laboratories that are outfitted with high-tech patient-simulation mannequins to facilitate the development of nursing students’ clinical judgment and reasoning. Approximately 50 percent of our student’s time is spent learning and practicing in our campus learning laboratories.
- Early, extensive and diverse clinical experiences, in a variety of real-world healthcare settings. Significant time is spent caring for patients under the supervision of a Galen faculty member in local healthcare facilities such as hospitals, long- term care facilities and clinics with a focus on medical-surgical nursing, maternity, pediatrics, mental health nursing, and more.
- Our strong emphasis on hands-on clinical training helps to prepare Galen graduates to begin their careers with confidence and professionalism, fully prepared to practice.
- Technology that enhances our students’ learning in the classroom.
- An emphasis on support and helping our students not only transition successfully into college learning, but supporting them throughout their entire nursing education journey — our students’ success is our success.
NEWS AND EVENTS
NEWS AND UPDATES
AROUND THE CAMPUS
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do you offer student loans?
Yes, Federal Financial Aid is available to students who qualify. For more information about student loans, please contact your campus Financial Aid department.
What are the clinical requirements?
Galen’s requirements for clinical experiences are similar to those you will encounter in your professional nursing career. All requirements are designed to ensure continuity of patient care, as well as to protect students, healthcare providers, and patients from the manifestation and spread of diseases.
All students are required to provide proof of the following immunizations in order to participate in clinical experiences:
- TB skin test or Chest x-ray
- Tetanus/Diphtheria (Td)
- Measles (Rubeola)
- Rubella (German Measles)
- Varicella (Chicken Pox)
- Hepatitis B
- Influenza (strongly recommended, but not required at this time)
In addition, students must provide proof of the following in order to participate in clinical experiences:
- Physical examination
- Health history
- Drug testing
- Criminal background screening authorization form
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification by the American Heart Association (AHA)
What are the technical requirements?
Take a moment to view the technical requirements for our courses.
Are you accredited?
Galen College of Nursing is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate and baccalaureate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097, or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Galen College of Nursing.
The associate degree in nursing program offered at Galen College of Nursing’s Main Campus in Louisville, Kentucky is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, Georgia 30326, 404-975-5000, www.acenursing.org.
The baccalaureate degree in nursing program at Galen College of Nursing is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530 Washington, DC 20036; 202-887-6791.
Do I have to take your pre-admission test even if I have a Bachelor’s Degree?
No. Applicants may provide evidence of a previously earned bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in lieu of a pre-admission test score. For more information, see our Admissions Requirements.
Will my previous college credits transfer?
In the evaluation of transfer credit, Galen utilizes TES®, the Transfer Evaluation System from CollegeSource which is the premier interactive database of course data from institutions of higher education to track and display previously approved courses for transfer. The equivalencies shown are for information purposes only and are subject to change due to changes in curriculum. Galen does not transfer in developmental, pre-licensure, or nursing courses taken prior to achieving an RN license.
If you have college credit that you would like to compare to this listing, please go here and follow instructions. If an equivalency is not listed, please contact one of our admissions representatives at (877) 223-7040 who can work with you to submit your courses for evaluation.
Can I work while attending Galen?
Many Galen students work while attending nursing school. However, if you are attending Galen on a full-time basis, it is best to work a very minimal amount of hours. Our nursing degree programs require a considerable amount of time outside the classroom for reading, studying, assignments, etc. You must be very disciplined with your time to be successful at Galen if you plan to work while attending.